*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Friday 2 October 2015

Last of the big spenders.

Hi Folks.

I have had the best of days.

It all began in bed at 7am this morning….. Oi get your mind out of the gutter Smile.

In bed at 7am we were discussing what we were going to do for the day, and the suggestion was going out for the day whilst the weather was so nice. Next decision was where were we going. Coventry, Stratford-upon-Avon or go mad and catch the train into Birmingham. We opted for the train into Birmingham.

We walked up to Warwick Parkway and paid £13.90 for the both of us return and within second of arriving on the platform the train arrived. We had a lovely journey in to Moor Street Station.

12039528_10153702394884532_6066577577818678337_n

I love going on trains.

DSC00024

We arrived in Birmingham at Moor Street Station which lies behind Selfridges. The station was opened in 1909 and still has many of its existing beauty.

DSC00045

Station entrance.

DSC00046

Now a cafe.

DSC00048

Lovely platforms.

We left the station and walked into the city.

DSC00026

Birmingham is a magnificent city with its vibrant atmosphere.

DSC00027

The brand new library is stunning.

DSC00029

Of curse we could not go to Birmingham without being by the canal. We actually sat and had a cup of tea at Gas Street Basin, which was so quiet.

DSC00031

Perfect day for a walk.

DSC00033

Nothing was stirring, not even the water.

DSC00036

At the Mail Box which is home to the BBC.

DSC00037

Keith enjoying the view.

DSC00038

Interesting.

DSC00039

The Cube’s sculpture Gerda, created by artist Temper. Gerda was born into a Jewish family in Vienna, Austria in 1919. At her mother’s insistence she escaped Vienna and, after trekking across Europe, arrived in England as a stowaway. Her mother, meanwhile, remained in Vienna and was sent to Auschwitz. Gerda went on to make a life for herself in England. She worked for the Auxiliary Territorial Service as a medical orderly and was awarded 2 service medals.

DSC00041

The Lovely People sculpture of Gerda can be found on level 6 of The Cube, next to the Adee Phelan hair salon. Her story, along with the stories of the remaining six The Lovely People sculptures can be read on the large plaque on entry to The Cube on level 6, opposite The Club and Spa. They make you think.

DSC00043

Lunch was eaten at The Big Wok our favourite place to eat in the Chinese Quarter.

The title of this post is because the only things we came back with were some White Card and 2016 calendar, which we bought from the indoor market and I then went to Primark and bought a pair of Winter PJ’s and some socks. I am not a big spender on anything, I can never see the point. The calendar was only 75p, and yet I have seen the same calendar in Warwick for £1.50, so it was a no brainer to buy it today. I also do not see any point on spending a lot of money of PJ’s.

All in all we had a fabulous time and look forward to going back to Birmingham by boat some time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails