*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Tuesday 21 June 2011

Views from the Basin

Hi Folks.

This morning we were awake early, so whilst drinking a cuppa, we discussed the days job list, we wanted to do 2 things, first check the prop and second get the anchor out ready for going down on to the river.

Keith was glad he checked the prop as there was a bicycle inner tube wrapped around it with the usual assorted bits of plastic bags, string, etc. which was trapped by the inner tube. It is now all nice and clear before setting off down the river.

I climbed into the hold and dug out the anchor, chain and warp from under all the bags of kindling. having lifted it onto the front locker Keith attached the warp to the T-stud, and then attached the chain to the warp, and finally the chain to the anchor. We are trying something different this time. When we were on the River Thames 3 years ago, we had all the warp and chain on the deck, but this time we have stowed it in the front locker, with just the end of the warp coming out to the T-stud, and the chain to the anchor. Also previously we had the anchor standing vertically against the cratch board, this time we have it laid on top of the front locker hatch. I am hoping we will not have to use it, but better to be safe than sorry. I also need to dig out our life jackets, which are stored in the hold in a box.

After a much needed Coffee, Keith went and bought a card for the electric meter, so we could hook up. I then put our first was on.
Another walk around town to see the shops we missed yesterday, especially the aquatic shop, some lovely fish in there. We can both picture what Marmite would be doing if we had an aquarium with fish in it, she would be polishing the glass with her paws, day and night!

After lunch I went out with my camera to get a few shot from around the basin, to give you an idea what it is like here. If you have never been to Stourport-on-Severn by boat you really should come, it is lovely here.
Treasure Island Funfair.Down on the River.The Severn Side Cottages, one of the cottages used to be lived in by the lock keeper. Behind the cottages the Donkey's were kept, they would pull carts and carry small loads. Donkey's are no longer in evidence.
The Tontine which is now being turned into apartments, but when it was built in 1173 it was called The Stourport Inn, then The Areley Inn, it laster became the Tontine Hotel. It was known as one of the most impressive Georgian buildings in Stourport. It is still very impressive.
A view down to the double lock.
Dry dock.
British Waterways Offices in the round the bend iron warehouse, which dates from 1771. It is one of the earliest purpose built warehouses in the country.
The Clock Tower on the Warehouse is rather nice. The clock does chime all through the night, so if your a light sleeper then the upper basin is not a place to moor. It has not kept me awake.
Above the lock is the tearoom I spoke about yesterday.
The lock drops you down into the basin, which is where we are moored, you can see us in the distance.
Looking from the lock you can see the restored Lichfield Street Office and restored Grade II listed houses.
There we are moored up in the basin on a moorings for an historic working boat, but not sure of its name. So as you can see a nice place to be. I have just done my second load of washing, now to get it all dry, before I strip the bed and wash the sheets. The electric card cost us £4.80 for 10 units, I have no idea how long it will last, but I am going to make the most of it.

Chat soon xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails