*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****

Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.

I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****

Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Pastures New.

Map picture

Travelled 11.45 miles, worked 5 locks in a time of 4 hours 5 minutes.

We spent a lovely afternoon and night on our mooring above Kegworth Lock, we had the planes from East Midlands Airport to keep us company as they flew over head, some of them were quite low at times.

This morning we woke to yet more wall to wall sunshine and the heat was already on the rise when i took Paddy out for his walk up the towpath.


We were already to set off at 8.45 am having just untied and a boat came around the corner woo hoo someone to share with. It was Sandy and Phil who were happy to share some of the work down through Kegworth Deep Lock.



Along side Kegworth Deep Lock is the old lock. The new lock was put in place to help with Flood prevention, thus making the old one redundant.


Kegworth Shallow Lock.


First proper look at the power station at Ratcliffe-on-Soar. The eight cooling towers standing proud against the skyline.


Always a good time for a dip when its sunny.


With there being no wind, the steam from the cooling towers just went straight up.


Leaving Ratcliffe Lock.


Redhill Flood Lock.


We arrived at the junction. Left was the Sawley Cut, ahead of us was the Erewash Canal and we were turning right on to the Canfleet Cut, so we said “Goodbye to the River Soar and waved goodbye to Phil and Sandy.


This was now pastures new for us as we have never been up this way before. Trent Flood Lock was open as we would have expected with this fine weather, as we approached Cranfleet Lock, there was already a boat there waiting to enter the lock so we join NB Piquet.


Although I stepped off the boat to work the lock for the both of us, there were already a couple of gentlemen there who were more than happy to do the work for me and they told me to get back on the boat, so I did not refuse the offer of assistance.



Having left the lock the river wound onwards towards Nottingham passing Barton Island and the Attenborough Reserve, which was opened by David Attenborough in 2005.



Next up was Beeston Lock. No one to work this one for us, so I stepped off on the pontoon and got on with working the lock. When leaving the lock the red paddles must be left open, so I had to close the one at the bottom before raising the other top paddle. NB Piquet joined us in the lock and on leaving the gentleman offered to close the gates and sort the paddles out, as he was mooring up at Beeston, so I thanked him and we went on our way towards Nottingham. We had left the Cranfleet Cut and were now on the Beeston Cut, which would then change to the Nottingham Canal.

1002782_10151766442624532_1133596917_n (1)

We arrived In Nottingham and moored up past Castle Marina. The main road is a little noisy, but I am sure I will ignore it in time. With it being so hot we have decided to leave going into the city until tomorrow. I am so impressed with our journey today and our pastures new. We have seen no end of Geese, Moor Hens, Coots, Great Crested Grebe, Cormorants, Ducks, Black Headed Gulls and Terns. I do so love visiting new places and neither Keith or I have ever been to Nottingham before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting, I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.


Related Posts with Thumbnails