*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Wednesday 3 April 2019

Day 26: Birmingham to Smethwick.

Hiya family, friends and followers.

We as always enjoyed our stay in Birmingham, but it was time to move, because the mooring is only 48 hours and we do not like to overstay our welcome, unless we ask or have a problem, which means we cannot move.
Anyway this morning, I got up and relit the back cabin stove, because it was nippy after a cold night. We set off at 8.45am by turning left out of the Oozells Street Loop.
The sun kept popping out, but we were told by the weather forecast, that we could expect rain, hail and thunder, welcome to April.
After leaving Birmingham, we were at Smethwick junction and the three Smethwick locks. We have been down them twice in the past few days, but today we would be going up them for a change.
It saddens me seeing the toll booth in this state. Shame on those who burnt it down, after it had been restored. Sadly there are people who do not care about their environment or the history of the canals and this does not just apply to Birmingham, who are celebrating 250 years of the canals this year. It is a situation which happens all over the country.
Whilst I wound down the paddles and closed the gate, Keith made his way to the Engine Arm junction. This is our first time down the Engine Arm.
She fits, which of course she should do.
Crossing over the aqueduct, with the new main line beneath us. This was such a feat of engineering 250 years ago and yet it is still in working order today. I am always in awe of the history of our beautiful waterways and that is why I wish others would look after it as we try too.
Having crossed the aqueduct, we turned left and continued along the arm, where there are residential moorings.
At the end is the winding hole and the sanitary station. We managed to wind and moored up on the 48 hour mooring in the winding hole. Our forend is stuck out a little, but we were told we were fine, so this is home for the night.
After lunch and some rain, we took a walk into Smethwick, which was another first. LIke a lot of towns it is suffering with closed down shops, which is such a shame, because at one time it would have been so vibrant and hopefully it will be again. Interestingly Smethwick was once a borough in Staffordshire and yet it is only 4 miles from Birmingham.
The world's oldest working engine, made by Boulton and Watt, the Smethwick Engine, originally stood near Bridge Street, Smethwick. It is now at Thinktank, the new science museum in Birmingham, which we visit a few days ago.
Anyway, we will stop here for the night and then be on our way again tomorrow.

Pop back soon xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails