*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Friday 21 January 2011

Broken mop and frozen canal.

Hi Friends.

I really need to make a mental note to self that I should not bash a frozen mop on the towpath because as you can see from the photograph it will not survive. I am pretty sure there must have been a crack in the wood because it was such a clean break. Oh well we will have to invest in a new mop handle when we are in town next.The temperature got down to a rather chilly -5.3c overnight, which meant we woke to see ice on the surface of the canal again this morning. It painted a very pretty picture though, especially as the sun came up. When we were ready to leave the mooring, I had to gingerly step on to the bow to untie the rope, because it was very slippery. I had no intention of slipping over and falling into the canal. Everything must always be done with caution when it is icey.With the thin layer of ice on the canal this morning, we set off down through Foxton locks and headed to Debdale Wharf to fill up with diesel (CLICK). Whilst there we saw work being carried out on Large Woolwich Aber and very smart she is looking so far. Nicky very kindly showed us around her.
Aber was built by Harland and Wolff of Woolwich as a town class, Grand Union motor boat, fleet number 101 in July 1936.
Having taken on diesel and we then returned to Foxton Junction and we will be here for the weekend.
At the moment the sun is out and it is beautiful out. Both the fires are going well and we are nice and snug inside. I am not sure what the rest of the day will bring, but I am hoping for a quiet afternoon.
Tomorrow there is a Volunteer Open Day at Foxton Locks. (CLICK)
Come and find out about being a volunteer lock keeper or canal ranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails