*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Monday 19 March 2012

Adlington to Oakgrove.

Map image

Travelled 9 miles, worked 2 swing bridges in a time of 4 hours, 10 minutes.

IMG_6973

We left our Adlington mooring at 8.20am, we had the 24 hour moorings all to ourselves.

IMG_6975

We passed this boat which made me smile. I do love the washing line set up, but not great for getting under bridges ha ha ha.

IMG_6977

Favourite sign writing of the day. It is nice to see something different. We only saw three boats on the move, whilst I was at the tiller one of the boats was NB Rakiraki with Mark and Ruth on board. The Wandering Duck had customers on board. We said a quick "hello" and "how are you" before going on our way. Keith took over the tiller once more, whilst I made us coffee.

IMG_6979

On approaching Bollington the sight of the Clarence Mill came into view it is the home of Canalside Community Radio 102.8fm.

IMG_6984 

It really is a stunning building.

IMG_6988

Over Grimshaw Aqueduct and onward past the Adelphi Mill.

IMG_6991 

It pays to stay out of the water. We passed through Macclesfield, maybe next time we come up here we will stop if there is room, so we can go and see Macclesfield in all it's glory.

On our way to Oakgrove a Mallard hitched a lift on the top plank.

IMG_6992

She was hoping to escape the clutches of 6 males, who clearly wanted their wicked way with her. Ducklings will soon be appearing no doubt. Towards Oakgrove I had two swing bridges to work, which were not difficult as they were both key operated and then I put my back into the beam and with a bit of brute force, the bridges moved.

We made it to Oakgrove at 12.10pm and moored up on the 48 hour moorings. The only drawback with this mooring is the main road which runs on the offside, but I am sure I will still sleep like a log tonight. Having put everything away, we walked down the towpath to see Brian and Ann Marie on Alton, we wanted some oil for Hadar's engine. Whilst there we did some catching up, having not seen them for a few days. Whilst we stood chatting, Brian told us that they had a ducks nest close to the boat with 10 eggs in it, so Spring really has arrived, but no sooner he told us that, a Mink swam by as if we were not there, this alarmed Brian who went to check on the ducks nest. His worse fear had been realised all the eggs had gone and the next wrecked. You can bet your bottom dollar it was that bloomin Mink. With Mink around, there will be very few ducklings on this stretch unless the Mink is caught. Having had a nice natter, we headed back to the boat with our purchases.

The sun is now out and our curry dinner is cooking in the back cabin stove, so all is well with my world. Tomorrow we will be setting off down Bosley Locks.

Chat soon xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails