*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Thursday 18 April 2013

Onward to Hopwas.

Map picture

Travelled 16 miles, worked 13 locks in 8 hours.

Since leaving Uxbridge dry dock, we have done 124.3 miles, worked 106 locks in time of 63 hours and 20 minutes.

Well what a night, there was a lot of rocking and rolling with the wind blowing a gale. During the evening we got well and truly clobbered by another boat, I did not bother getting up, but heard shouts of sorry. In the howling gale there was probably little they could do, except keep the speed on a bit whilst passing us, but hey ho no damage done. I slept well until 1am and was up at 1.15am. Having had a drink it was back to bed until 6am and then we had a cuppa. 7.30am up and walking Paddy in the field. Thankfully the wind seemed to have died down a little, which would make cruising so much easier.

SAM_5005

We left lour mooring at 8am with light rain falling and the wind gusting. I think I may have been hasty at getting my Summer clothing out if the chilly breeze was anything to go by today, it was a hat and gloves day.

SAM_5007

Another sunken boat, this time near bridge 36, but Canal and River Trust are aware.

SAM_5008

Heading into Atherstone, a gentleman walking his dog warned us of a boat adrift at the bow. Just as we approached the boat a nother gentleman arrived on the offside and said it was his neighbours boat and he would see if he could get the rope. He managed to grab the centre line and we helped him get the boat in so he could secure it to the bank, so another good deed done.

We arrived at the Atherstone flight at 9.30am with the first 4 locks against us.

SAM_5010

The lock cottage looks so sad without Tony there.

SAM_5013

At lock 5 we had the lock in our favour and a boat ready to come up.

SAM_5015

Between lock 6 and 7 the towpath is closed due to work being carried out opposite the old Barry Hawkins boat yard.

SAM_5016

Nice new brick work, which I hope will stay that way for a long time. The locks from then on were in our favour with boats coming up as we approached the remaining locks.

At lock 8 we met up with Dean and Chris on Hotel Narrow Boat Takara. It has been a good couple of years since we last saw them and so I was pleased to catch up on their news and the progress of their business. When we last met I told them about Tesco delivery and they have not looked back since, saving them loads of time from walking around the supermarkets. I hope they have a wonderful season.

SAM_5017

Coming out of lock 10 was Historic Working Boat Auriga with Rick of the Gravenor Boating Company. Rick sells coal on the Coventry, North Oxford, Ashby, Trent & Mersey Canals. It was the first time we had met since we chatted on Facebook, so nice to put a face to the name. We made it down the flight by 11.15 which was pretty good. Moored up on the moorings below the lock was the Solar Afloat Boat Plum. John was busy helping a new customer, so we pulled in and Keith bought aluminium strips from him for the solar panel we got from him last September. It was nice to have a quick natter with John and Julia and we hope they have a good trading year.

On the move again, I ducked down into the galley and made us some rolls for lunch and coffee.

SAM_5019

Ominous dark clouds as we passed by Grendon Dry Dock and the good old April showers came and went. We arrived at Glascote locks at 2.15pm. The bottom lock filled very slowly due to one of the paddles not working, so I will be sending in a report to the Canal and River Trust.

SAM_5021

Fazeley Junction and still the houses are not finished and show no sign of being finished, which is incredibly sad.

SAM_5023

After a fantastic days cruising, we stopped at Hopwas with the sun shining and an excellent TV signal, because the TV signal mast is on the off side of the canal. This is why I love my way of life, we get to cruise in all weathers and see new things everyday, my life never gets boring. Having moored up at 4pm, Cider and Pork sausages went into the back cabin stove they would be enjoyed with cheesy mash and peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails