*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Friday 2 September 2011

Sparford Bridge No. 41 to Foxton top lock.

Map image

Hi Folks.

Sparford Bridge No. 41 to Foxton. 7.28 miles in 2 hrs 40 mins.

After an excellent nights sleep, we were awake early, so I made us both a cup of tea, which as always we drank in bed. I also relit the back cabin stove. I know it has been hot today, but I wanted to cook a piece of Ham slowly and the best way to do it is in the back cabin stove. I filled the copper kettle and that got put on top of the stove ready for coffee later.

Once I was up and dressed, Paddy got a run out across the field, which he enjoyed. he made a beeline for a Rabbit hole, which he found yesterday. I was not sure if a Rabbit was at home, but there was no way I was not going to let Paddy dig the hole out to find out. We were only doing a short hop this morning to Foxton Locks.

IMG_5455

We set off at 8.20am heading for the Junction to Foxton and Welford.

IMG_5462

Husbands Bosworth Tunnel was soon done and dusted, with nothing following us or coming in the opposite direction.

IMG_5468

One of the local farmers has been stacking his straw bales ready for the winter. He always has them in the same place and throughout the winter we will watch the stacks diminish, as the straw is used for the cattle.

We made it to the top of Foxton Locks, ready for the Festival. Yeah I know we are very early, but with water levels going down we thought it a good idea to move. The locks are so quiet with very few boats being allowed to pass through. This has had a knock-on effect in reducing the visitor numbers this summer, after all who wants to visit the locks with no boats passing through? This does not bode well for the Festival, visitor wise. We will just have to see how it all goes.

Keith went and bought us both a Mint, Choc ice cream which went down very nicely. It have to be devoured quickly because it was melting so fast. We have spoken with the lock keepers and they have been  making sure only those on their list get to use the locks. So far they have only turned away a couple of boats, so it seems everyone is taking heed of the restrictions here.

The list of current restrictions are as follows.

I. GUL (Kibworth Top Lock 18 – Kings Lock 38) open to navigation 10.00am – 2.00pm only
II. Watford lock flights open to navigation 9.00am – 4.00pm only
III. Foxton Lock Flight open to navigation 9.00am – 4.00pm only for essential traffic only (* essential passage only added Friday 26th August)
IV. Marston Doles Lock15 – Claydon lock 21 open to navigation 10.00am – 2.00pm only
V. Hillmorton offside locks (3, 5 & 7) locked between 4.00pm – 9.00am.
VI. Calcutt Locks 1-3, open to navigation 9.00am – 4.00pm only (effective from Tuesday 30th August.

There are also problems on the River Severn, which you can read about on the Water Watch Diary.

Chat soon xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails