*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****

Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.

I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****

Tuesday, 7 May 2013

Back to Stone.

Map picture

Travelled 16.45 miles, worked 11 locks in a time of 8 hours 45 minutes.


Cracking sunset last night again after what had been a wonderful Bank Holiday Monday. For us it was quiet, but there were plenty of boats on the move, walkers and cyclists.


We left our weekend mooring at 7.45am and set off for the junction.


I said “Goodbye” to the Cows and their Calves, who had been very entertaining over the weekend.


At Hall Green Lock, someone was taking on water, so we carried on to the lock.

We reached the junction with the Trent and Mersey Canal at 8.55am.


Back in the land of the orange water as we headed for Harecastle Tunnel, where there was a hire boat already moored up waiting. We were told we would be waiting about n hour, which gave me the chance to make a coffee and to get some hand washing done. Another boat joined the queue and we got chatting to the lovely couple, who had quite a shock last night, when the police came knocking on their boat after dark. The boater in front of them had fallen in and drowned during the evening. What upset them more was they had been chatting to the gentleman during the day and he seemed fine. So very sad that another boater has drowned, there did not seem to be any drink involved, but it is a reminder to us all how dangerous boating can be even when your moored up.

We made our way into the tunnel at 10.20am, the tunnel keeper allowed us to go first, because he knew we would get a shift on and did not want us stuck behind the hirers.



We were out the other end at 10.55am.


It was onward through Stoke-on-Trent. We waved to our friends Andy and Teresa who have a house at Trentham. When we got to Trentham Lock it was empty. I was just about to start filling it when I noticed the a bow fender coming around the corner, so quickly opened the bottom gates for the boat to enter, little realising until they were closer it was Scooby and Rita on NB Festina Lente. It was wonderful to see them both and to have a cuddle and a natter.



On pass Wedgwood and Barlaston where extensive towpath work is being carried out.



The work was started at the beginning of February and is expected to take 40 weeks, I have to say they are doing a fabulous job. We knew two of the guys working on the towpath, they were Henry and Jim, so we had a quick chat with them before we left them to get on with the job in hand.


Meaford Top Lock was with us, but the others were against us through leakage I think.


One lock to go for the day, and yes that is a fisherman on the lock moorings grrrrrr. He seemed displeased that we were on the move, but if he will fish in a pound what can he expect.


After what had been a stunning day weather wise and cruising wise, we moored up before Whitebridge Estate road bridge, where the moorings are a little deeper.

Salad for tea, as it is to hot to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting, I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.


Related Posts with Thumbnails