*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****

Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.

I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****

Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Rugby to Hawkesbury Junction.

Hi Friends.

We left Rugby at 8.45am after what was a quiet night and just as we approached Masters Bridge with the Rugby artwork, I recognised NB Wigrams Turn, which had just pulled in. I enquired whether they were the couple who originally owned NB Misty Lady and the gentleman said they were. We first met them at the Shackerstone Festival over 4 years ago, when we still had Misty Lady. Infact the woman was waving us down to tell us they had owned her. So now I had the opportunity to tell them what has happened since then. It was nice to catch up with them both, I just wish I could remember their names. So often you only ever know the boat names and never its owners, which is a little odd I guess. They finished mooring up and we went on our way.
I could not resist take a photograph of this graffiti, because it says it all really. This was at Bridge 52 the Old Railway Bridge.
We headed towards Newbold Tunnel noticing all the things that had changed since our last visit. It is always nice to see improvements even if they are small ones.
Onward through Newbold Tunnel with it colourful lighting. I remember the last time we came through the tunnel the lights were much better then. It looks like many of the bulbs need replacing and the lenses need a good clean as well.
One of the boats moored in front of us last night was now behind us, so Keith pulled over to allow them to pass. Now when ever were pass another boat, I make a point of saying thank you. It seems this couple could not conjure up the words, they just about managed a nod. it costs nothing to say two small words THANK YOU.
We passed Laplander the Steam Ice Breaker at Yates Yard. There was no one around, the yard looked closed.
At Stretton Stop, I nipped off to open the Swing Footbridge, which had been newly painted, so I had to watch where I put my hands. It would be just typical for me to get paint over everything. Just as we came through the bridge a hire boat pulled out in front of us, which was not a wise thing to do as the gentleman discovered, because we were right behind him in no time, so he pulled over and allowed us to pass.
With it seems everything producing young, this was my cutest offspring photograph of the day. The Pen and Cob have 8 Cygnets in all. It is so wonderful to be able to see the variety of wildlife that the waterway's has to offer. We saw our first Coot for ages as well along the way. For some strange reason some areas do not have Coots. on the Leicester Line we never see one.
Open, rolling fields full of sheep followed, we then entered a deep cutting, which is spanned by the M6 and its noisy traffic. Although if you needed to paint your boat, it would be a great place to moor under the bridge itself in the dry. You then just have to put up with the traffic noise and the railway which runs along side it. Ideal if your deaf.
Bridge 15 at Ansty is almost no more. Sadly it has had to be demolished due to the fact that it can no longer be repaired due to so much damage, which is a real shame. We have never seen Ansty, but it does have Ansty Hall which dates back to 1678 apparently. It is now a hotel (CLICK ME). There seemed to be plenty of boats on the move today, so we were careful to slow right down at Bridge 'oles, just in case a boat should be coming in the opposite direction. I got to take the tiller for a bit, which as always I totally loved. Keith finds standing on the gunwale plays his back up, so I never get very long at the tiller before he takes over again, but I do enjoy being in charge of the boat when I can.
Just as we were approaching Hawkesbury Junction the heavens opened and it began to drizzle heavily, so I donned my donkey jacket to keep the worse of the rain off. I stepped off the boat at Sitton Stop Lock, and waited for a boat to come through, whilst passing the time of day with the lady doing the paddle, who was very un-impressed at the weather. As I told her "This is England, we have to expect all sorts of weather".
Having done Sutton Stop Lock and feeling a little damp around the edges, it was clear finding a mooring was not going to be that easy, because it was chocker with boats and by the look of things I think the boats moored on the visitor moorings have been here for quite a while. Where is a patrol officer when you need one!
Fortunately we managed to find one mooring big enough for us to squeeze into, so made a B line for the slot before anyone else was able to snatch it. All moored up, ariel up and the radio on, we are here for the night at least.
It has been another good day's cruising, which on the whole was uneventful.

Chat soon xx.

1 comment:

  1. that is a cute offspring photo .....in about 1977 we joined friends of ours on a narrowboat near Rugby ......It was snowing and we have some great photos .....somewhere !!!....they had taken their cats with them too ...they had 3 Birmans beautiful cats .....obviously as it was so cold the cats stayed in the warmth and cosiness of the boat ....I am so enjoying your journeys it's bringing back some lovely memories for me ......revisiting lovely canal holidays that I've been on ( i will post up some of my photos of narrowboat holidays sometime )....have a great week .....xx


I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting, I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.


Related Posts with Thumbnails