*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Monday 25 July 2011

The Joys of Upton-on-Severn.

Hi Friends.


Another beautiful day began bright and early, with a phone call from someone we both know so well, but unfortunately my phone signal is such that I could not take the call.


Paddy and I set off for our morning stroll, when we spied a boat we knew only two well. It belonged to Brian Jarrett, who had phoned me earlier, he was moored up on the concrete moorings behind us and had come in yesterday evening unbeknown to us. As Paddy and I strolled along the river frontage, I saw Brian and his dog Ghost coming towards us. it was lovely to see them both again. Brian was hoping to move his boat on to the pontoon moorings should a space become available.


SAM_0066


After breakfast Keith disappeared and was on NB Kyle with Brian when a space because empty, so Brian moved his tug on to the mooring behind us. Keith and I then went into the town to look in the shops which were closed yesterday. Upton-on-Severn is a delightful little town, with so much history. We visited the Heritage Museum, which we found very informative. We stopped for a coffee in one of the towns cafes, before going back to the boat for some lunch.


We began the afternoon with a glass of Red wine with Brian Jarrett, who owns tug Kyle.


SAM_0077


We must have chatted about every subject under the sun, it was a most enjoyable way to spend a Monday afternoon. 2pm was rung on the church bell and so we left Brian and headed off to The Tudor House Museum run by Lavender Beard a woman who is clearly passionate about history and the museum.SAM_0067


It cost us £1.50 each to get in and it was well worth the money.


SAM_0083


The museum is very well laid out and labelled.


SAM_0084


It was fascinating, reading about the history of the town.


We ended the visit in the garden where Mrs beard was caring for a Mallard and her 9 ducklings.


SAM_0089


When the ducklings are big enough they will all be taken to the River. The problem for them at the moment is there is no way on foot from the museum, without being run over, so Mrs Beard is going to take them by car when the time is right. She did exactly the same thing last year when a family set up home in the garden.


Back at the boat there were plenty of boats on the move and boats looking for moorings. Brian now has two hire boats alongside him and we still have June and Gordon alongside us. We were also joined by a Skiff.


SAM_0090


You may recognise the make of boat. A skiff was used in the "Three men in a boat" series with Dara Ó Briain, Rory McGrath and Griff Rhys Jones. This was not the same skiff, but just as stunning with its canvas top. They came and moored up for the evening, whilst we went off to Ye Olde Anchor Inn with Brian off Tug Kyle and Lorraine and Fred off of NB Sarah. We spent a very pleasant couple of hours telling tales over a couple of pints of Theakstons Crime of Passion. It is amazing the things boaters chat about, even when they do not know each other very well.


So the end to another day draws near and having enjoyed Cheese on Toast for dinner, I am just about ready for my bed.


Chat soon xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails