*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Saturday 19 November 2011

Shackerstone Village.

Hi Folks.

Having made tonight's dinner, which is at this moment cooking in the back cabin stove, Keith and I thought we should stretch our legs, so we donned our walking boots, gathered our cameras and set off for a stroll around the tiny village of Shackerstone and the Railway Station. We began walking along the towpath and I spotted a Water Vole swimming along the offside bank, not a great photo, but it was taken in a hurry. I am going to try and take another over the weekend.

IMG_3705

First of all we walked up to Shackerstone Station.

IMG_3713

It is a pretty little station with lots of character.

SAM_0924

There are no trains running until they begin the Christmas runs. There were staff there putting up the Christmas decorations and tree. The line heads towards Shenton, where the line terminates.

SAM_0928

We were invited in to have a look around the museum, which maybe small but is full with lots of railway memorabilia. We last looked around in 2005. I love all the old signs on the wall.

SAM_0931

Having seen all there was to see at the station, we walked back into the village, to see if there had been any changes from our last visit.

SAM_0932

It is nice to see the Rising Sun, is still open for business. It looks like it has had a lick of paint since we last visited. I remember we had a fantastic meal there.

SAM_0934

This is St. Peter’s Church, which we saw as we approached Shackerstone yesterday. A gentleman was cutting the grass, in November!

Whatever next?

To think this time last year we were only one week away from the canals freezing over, when we were doing the coal run on the Leicester Line, in fact on the very day it began to freeze we were being filmed for the "Golden Ages Of Canals" program.

St. Peter's Church is a pretty but plain church outside. We had a wander around the gravestones, where there were lots of family plots. The saddest of the grave stones was this one.

IMG_3716

So tragic to think of these two children losing their lives in this way and to think that it still happens today.

We arrived back on the boat and I made us some lunch. Film4 is now on and we are watching "Around the world in 80 days", outside it is rather dull and becoming chilly, so both fires are going. Dinner is cooking, Mog and Dog are both asleep, so all is well in my world, all's I now need to do is get rid of my sciatica arghhhh. Have a wonderful Saturday, chat soon x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails