*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Sunday 11 March 2012

Sunday at Bugsworth Basin.

My morning began at 6am when Keith climbed over the top of me to head to the smallest room on the boat. After that I was awake, and so was up and dressed ready to take Paddy for his walk around Bugsworth Basin.

 IMG_6832

The only sounds to be heard was the River Goyt, as it flowed over rocks and bird song, not even the road next to the basin was busy so early in the morning, that of course changed as the morning wore on. Having enjoyed a breakfast cooked by the other half, it was time to stoke the fires and get a few jobs done. I cleaned all the boats brass in some warm Spring sunshine, whilst walkers, cyclists and canoeists went about their day. I made a lasagna for tonight's dinner, which is cooking in the back cabin stove as I type, along with some garlic bread. With it being such a lovely morning, I went off with my camera around the basin, before I had got a few feet, I got chatting to one of the volunteers who works at the basin with his wife and who made us very welcome yesterday.

IMG_6834

We had been joined by a few other boats, who had come in for the weekend. For those reading this who have never heard of Bugsworth Basin, it is a canal basin at the terminus of the Peak Forest Canal. It is located at Buxworth (formerly Bugsworth) in the valley of the Black Brook, close to Whaley Bridge. It was once a busy interchange with the Peak Forest Tramway, for the transport of limestone and burnt lime and is well worth a visit.

IMG_6837

At present the Volunteers of the Inland Waterways Protection Society (IWPS) have restored the site over three decades and are still working hard to restore more arrears of the site. They are hoping to get funding to repair the wash wall in the middle basin, which has collapsed due to many years of neglect and erosion due to the boat propellers. Yesterday there was a meeting with the Heritage Lottery Fund to try and secure funding for this and other work, which they hope to carry out, so fingers crossed they get their funding.

IMG_6841

There are lots of place to moor and have a bit of peace and quiet.

IMG_6844

IMG_6850

The Navigation Inn once owned by Pat Phoenix, aka Coronation streets Elsie Tanner, was going to be busy on such a beautiful day.

IMG_6858

Today's cute picture.

Back at the boat, it was time for lunch and a sit down after a busy old morning, whilst I had been doing my thing, Keith had been putting plugs on our solar panel fairy lights, so we can disconnect them easier. After lunch I rearranged the back cabin, and put my Summer cushions back, removing the crocheted blanket which had been covering my cushions. The blanket was in need of some urgent attention, because it was falling into holes. Keith's mum had crocheted the blanket many years ago. Keith went about unpicking the torn parts, so that I could sew a new hem, making smaller blankets for the back cabin, the tatty bits will be made into a cat blanket, so nothing will get wasted.

It is now 5.30pm and the visiting public are making their way home, so peace is restored for another day. Dinner is almost cooked, mog and dog have been fed and the TV is one, just wish the BBC signal was better, but beggars cannot not be choosers, we will be watching ITV1 later for "Dancing on Ice", and that signal we know is fine. So as another week draws to a close, so must I.

Chat soon x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails