*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Tuesday 19 January 2021

A bit more digging.

 

Hi All.

I have been doing more digging into Joseph William Hilton, who was the master at Warwick Workhouse for 24 years, with the help of a friend Jules.

Jules found Josephs Death notice and his Obituary in The Royal Leamington Spa Courier and Warwickshire Standard. It read: HILTON on the 16th inst, after very severe suffering aged 61 years. Mr J W Hilton for the past twenty-four years master of the Union Workhouse, Warwick much respected. 

It seems he was a liked man, who cared for the inmates of the Workhouse to the best of his ability. His wife also worked at the workhouse.

This morning on my walk, I found the headstone of Joseph's wife Maria Keen Hilton. She died on the last Sunday of 1890. Also listed on her headstone was her brother Martin, who died aged 40. I can find very little about Mr Hilton, but there are articles on the workhouse.
I have an interest in workhouses, because my grandfather was born in Dudley Workhouse in 1910. Once this virus is over with and we can go into Birmingham, I hope to go and have a look in the Dudley archives, to see if I can find out more about his time in the workhouse and maybe learn more about his parents. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails