*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Thursday 14 July 2011

Sharpness to Shepherd's Patch.

Hi Friends.

It was time to say goodbye to Sharpness for this year. With the sun shining, we were in for a short jaunt, but it was going to be an absolute pleasure. We waved goodbye to the couple who were moored behind us overnight. I was actually quite sad to be leaving, because I had really enjoyed my time in Sharpness. I felt really at home next to the estuary, for me it was the best of both worlds, I had the life of living on the canal and the view of the waterfowl on the estuary. Life is so worth living for this life.
Onward we cruised.
On passing Purton we soon came across the Purton Timber Pools. These large areas of water were once used to store floating logs. The loogs were unloaded in Sharpness Docks and awaited transport as floating rafts up to the timber yards in Gloucester. The timber ponds are now the largest area of reed-bed in Gloucestershire.
Keith got on the radio to let the Purton swing bridge keeper know we were on our way, but got no reply, so he left it a further minute or two and tried again, but still no reply. On approaching the swing bridge we saw the reason for why. The bridge keeper was on a ride-on lawn mower with his ear defenders on, so not only did he not hear the radio he would not have heard the Klaxon either. Eventually he saw us and NB Rendezvous who was now behind us waiting for the bridge to open. Red lights flashed announcing that the keeper had seen us, the road barriers went down and the bridge swung open, green lights came on to allow us through. The keeper then asked if we were going through Patch Swing Bridge, and we said no as we wanted to moor up at Shepherd's Patch. Apparently Shepherd's Patch was here before the canal and was where the shepherd's would watch their sheep as they grazed the Severn estuary.
It was such a peaceful cruise in the sunshine. There was not a breath of air or a ripple on the water, so it was delightful.
We had just settled down with a coffee, when we heard the swing bridge opening and this time it was for the trip boat Spirit of freedom, which is based at Saul Junction and is run by The Willow Trust (CLICK).
After closing the bridge, the bridge keeper for the day came past hoping to finish his grass cutting he had begun a couple of hours ago, but no sooner we exchanged a few words his phone was ringing again to tell him another boat was on its way. There is no peace for the wicked it seems. With lots of boats seemingly on the move, he may be hard pushed to get it finished today.
The moorings here on the offside are 14 days, if you ask the bridge keeper nicely. So we plan on staying until at least Monday as it is such a lovely spot.
I am now off to make us some lunch.
Chat soon xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails