*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Friday 14 October 2011

Welford to Foxton.

Map image

 

Hi Folks.

IMG_2259

Last nights moon was very impressive.

Another day which saw no rain arghhhh and none forecast.

We were awake at a reasonable hour and no cup of tea in bed today because after breakfast we prepared Hadar ready for our winter coal delivery from W. G. Hill. This meant securing the top sheets up, and then tying the side sheets down to give us good clear access to the hold for our loose coal.  It was then a matter of waiting for the lorry to arrive, whilst we waited I cleaned the brass work outside, which was looking a tad dirty. I also got rid of rubbish, made us coffee and chatted to people we know at the wharf. The time seemed to go quickly this morning even though we were waiting, so I decided to have a slightly earlier lunch, just in case the delivery should arrive, and this turned out was a good idea, as at 12:15pm Chris and Tom arrived. They soon had all the coal emptied into the hold, I actually felt like a spare dinner, because normally it is me who stacks the coal, but you cannot stack loose coal, so instead I got into the hold with the shovel and spread the coal out evenly, so we would not be listing. Once the loading was complete I made us all Teas and coffees and of course paid for the delivery, which also included firelighters, kindling and toilet blue. After a quick chat Tom and Chris headed off for their next delivery in Market Harborough.

Before setting off, I helped a hire boat wind in the basin, they were struggling, so I got them to throw me the stern rope and I pulled them round, they were very grateful for the help. We then set off for Welford lock at 1.10pm, where once in the lock we were able to get the sheeting sorted out, which is easier to do in a narrow lock as we can get to both sides to retie the top strings. With the boat all ship shape and bristol fashion, it was onwards towards Foxton.

IMG_2330

We did try and moor in a couple of places on route, but we could not get in.

IMG_2344

We cruised through the Husbands Bosworth Tunnel.

IMG_2357

and out the other end, moving towards Honey Pot Bridge in the autumn sunshine.

buzzards

A pair of Buzzards entertained us with a flying display.

A lovely sunny afternoon saw us arrive at Foxton where we winded at the entrance to the top inclined plane arm, and having failed to get close enough to the bank between the top lock and bridge No.60 we carried on past the bridge and moored up just the other side of it, which is a good deep water mooring. The pound is down in level at the moment, thus why we couldn’t moor between the lock and bridge, where we usually have no problem.

Being moored where we are means I will not have to walk so far to get our Tesco’s delivery, which we have ordered for Tuesday afternoon. That is a real plus, another  plus is we have a good TV signal here, which makes a change, because before the digital signal was turned up, we could not get anything here, so I am well chuffed, especially as Wales are playing rugby in the semi-final of the World Cup in the morning, with England out I have to cheer on someone, so Wales gets my vote.

IMG_2308

Before I go I must just show this little character. By the bins at Welford there is a family of rats and they are not bothered by people at all because this one sat and had its photo taken.

IMG_2314

I am off now, so I hope you enjoy a lovely weekend, I know I am going too.

Chat soon xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails