*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Thursday 3 May 2012

The Village of Froncysyllte.

After lunch and a check on e-mails, Keith and I went for a walk into Froncysyllte, which was a short walk from our mooring. Froncysyllte is also known as Fron, and if you think you have heard the name from somewhere, think Male voice choir. Yes that's right the Fron is famous for the male voice choir whose first commercial recording was, Voices of the Valley. In October 2008, singer-songwriter Rolf Harris announced that he would be re-recording the song "Two Little Boys", backed by the choir, to mark the 90th anniversary of the end of World War I, the proceeds went to the Poppy Appeal.

SAM_0840 

At the end of the village is what used to be a methodist church, but is now an auction house. Across the road from the auction house is a water fountain.

SAM_0838 SAM_0839

It has the names of the people who died in the 1st and 2nd World Wars, it also has the church of St. David's.

SAM_0841

The church yard is a hive of activity for wildlife.

SAM_0842 

SAM_0844

Buried in the church yard is Dorothy Hartley (4 October 1893 – 22 October 1985), Dorothy was best known as the author of the book Food in England, published in 1954, the book had a strong influence on many contemporary cooks and food writers.

SAM_0843

In the village there is a pub.

SAM_0848

Also an Indian Take Away, Post Office and apparently a Fish and Chip Shop, but we never found it. But read about it on NB Fizzical Attractions blog. We enjoyed our walk around this little village, much of it is on a hill, so a good work out for the calf muscles. We walked back to the boat and I put the kettle on for a much needed coffee. I am now off to cook some dinner.

We have an early start tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails