*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****

Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.

I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****

Wednesday 29 April 2015

Welsh Road Lock to Long Itchington.

Yesterday after lunch, we went out for a walk along the towpath up to Bascote Locks and back again. I also took Paddy out for his after lunch walk, so I most certainly got my steps in for the day doing over 7,000 steps in all.

After all that walking, it was then time to settle down with Parts 2 and 3 of the Hobbit. I had watched parts 1 and 2 before, but we had just bought part 3 and so we thought we would watch the whole series again. It was most enjoyable and in fact I think I like the Hobbit more than The Lord of the Rings.

Had a wonderful nights sleep. I was woken by the sound of a Chiff Chaff calling out. After a cuppa and a natter, it was time to get up to the sound of rain beating down on the back cabin roof. Paddy got a wet walk along the towpath. He absolutely hates getting wet and so was only prepared to go a short distance, doing what he needed and then doing a swift about turn and back on to the boat. I lit the back cabin stove before settling down with a coffee and the book I am reading at the moment, which is The War of the Wives written by Tamar Cohen.

The rain stopped and so at 9.55am we decided to set off for Long Itchington. We had to tackle the Bascote locks first. The first lock was fine, although I did have to shut the top gates first, because someone had been through during the evening and had left gates open. I noticed that the Welsh Road Lock gates were open this morning. I could see that someone was coming down the staircase, which was a bonus. When I walked up to lock 2, there was a hire boat moored above the lock and it was clear there was a distinct lack of water in their pound. They had managed to let some water down and another boat was coming down the staircase, which would help their cause. Keith put Hadar in the lock as it was empty and I walked up and helped the boat coming down the staircase. With more water now in the empty pound Hadar crept into the bottom lock of the staircase without hitting the cill. I felt as if my lungs were going to burst, having to wind the paddles over and over again, but it is a good workout. Out of the top staircase lock, the water level was down on the pound, so we just crawled our way to Long Itchington.

long itchington

All moored up and lunch cooking in the back cabin stove as I type this. The sun is out and it is warming up a bit now. No idea what the rest of the day will being, but I am sure I can find plenty to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.


Related Posts with Thumbnails