*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Tuesday 26 April 2016

Astley Green to Wigan.

A cool day weather-wise. But with the sun out and Paddy needing his morning walk, I gathered up my camera and head out to walk through the wood above our boat.

coal mine

There was a lovely view of the coal mine gear.

coal mine 2

There is a railway which runs alongside the wood, which is used by the mine still.

We left our over night mooring and set off in a freshing breeze. The sun began to disappear and so the temperature dropped. Both of us were wrapped up in our Donkey jackets against the bitting breeze.

We had a couple of locks to do on the Leigh Branch and oh boy I found them hard to work. It was mainly problems with moving the bottom gates. I reckon old age is creeping ever closer or they are just hard work.

We got to Wigan and moored between the 2 locks 86 & 87, and had some lunch.

SAM_1803

After lunch, I got our rucksacks out and we then set off to book our passage into Liverpool and to do a food shop at Asda. We met Vicky at the CRT office who booked our passage for this coming Friday and our return a week later. We are now both looking forward very much to the journey, knowing we can actually get through. It is true to say I am extremely excited. We returned from Asda’s with 2 rather full rucksacks of food to find Hadar was listing at a jaunty angle, the water level of pound between the 2 locks had gone down and she was sitting on the bottom, so we decided to move below Bottom lock, to Wigan Pier. With the wind now blowing up a gale and with sleet, and snow mixed in with it, I did struggle pulling Hadar into the mooring, but got there eventually.

SAM_1804

This is Wigan Pier, not the original, but a replacement as the original had been sold for scrap!

SAM_1805

I am not sure how impressed I am supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails