*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Wednesday 28 August 2019

Day 17: All going on.

Hiya family, friends and followers.

I know, it is day 17 and the last time I posted was day 9, but we have been full-on with everything at Alvecote and The Big Weekend. Keith thoroughly enjoyed helping move boats here and there and I got on with crocheting, cleaning a cooking.
The weather over the weekend, was hot, hot, hot, as you will probably know if you were here in the UK. We had the most amazing weekend, with like minded folk and the general public who came to enjoy the atmosphere. There was plenty of boats to see, 84 historic boats, plus trading boats. There was food, beer and music over the whole weekend, with a bit of fun dotted along the way.
Each day there was a boat parade, which was judged and awards handed out on the Bank Holiday Monday.
I have never drunk so much in my life and I am not talking all beer. With the heat being so intense, we all had to keep our hydration up. I did of course drink the beer at The Samuel Barlow, which was fantastic as was the food which we had over the three days. I did not cook one meal over the weekend, we decided we would eat out and the guys and girls did everyone proud with the meals and their hard work.
Monday I got to indulge my love of all thing Peaky Blinders, when some of the boaters donned their costumes and took over the micorphone at The Samuel Barlow.
I was asked to do the photo shoot and had a fantastic time.
The boat used in the series is owned by our boat builder and can be seen in the series. It was such a treat to be involved and a real laugh, although you should never mess with the Peaky Blinders.
Yesterday we said "Cheerio" to Alvecote and The Samuel Barlow and everyone we saw over the past few days and headed to Atherstone, where we stopped half way up the flight. In the first two hours we only did 2 locks. I and Daisy off of Trout, worked four boats in front of us up the locks first. By the time we got to the half way point we were ready to stop. Keith and I walked into Atherstone for a nosey around and a bit of retail therapy. I slept like a log after the heat of the day and the work, but oh boy my feet itched when I woke. It seems that the mozzies at Alvecote liked my feet. Others were getting eaten alive and I thought I had got away with it, but no they got my feet, because I was wearing sandals.
We left Atherstone early to beat the line of boats to the first lock and within the hour we had done the final five locks.
After overnight rain, it was most definitely cooler, which was very welcome. We stopped at Nuneaton and walked into the town for the first time. It is a lovely town and has a huge market. We enjoyed a nice lunch in the George Elliot Hotel. Two meals with the £ sign on were two for £8. We also had a Lime and Soda with ice each, which was lovely and cooling.
We are now moored just north of Hawkesbury junction. 10.6 miles 5 locks.

Pop back soon xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails