*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Monday 15 August 2011

Coole Pilate to Winsford Top Flash.

IMG_4941

Hi Folks.

Last nights sunset was a beauty, which finished our weekend off nicely.

IMG_4963

This morning's sunrise was just as impressive at 5.15am. The overnight temperature fell drastically and when I took Paddy out for his walk it was on just 7 C out.

SAM_0267

There was a rolling mist on the canal which was really beautiful. Some may say we are barking mad setting off so early in the morning, but it was a magical morning with the sunrise and the rolling mist, I would not have missed it for the world. All's it needed was a Fox strolling up the towpath after a night of hunting or a Barn Owl looking for breakfast, sadly neither of those happened, but I can keep on dreaming.

IMG_4974

We left the weekend mooring at 5.55am and there was silence all around us. Hack Green Locks were our first locks of the day and luckily they were with us.

IMG_4981

We pasted the 1 mile sign to Nantwich. On reaching Nantwich Canal Centre, we pulled in to empty the toilet cassette, get rid of rubbish and to top up with water. Just as we pulled out two more boats pulled in. As we past by the moored boats I spotted Holly.

IMG_4983

Holly is a Middlewich Hire Boat and the first narrowboat I had ever been on. We hired her so I could find out what I was letting myself in for when Keith and I got together. We spent a lovely week on her cruising to Stone to see our boat builder Roger Fuller. From that first day which rained all day and I did 27 locks, I have been smitten by the Waterways and the way of life I now live.

IMG_4984

We then cruised past the Nantwich Horse standing proudly on the bank.

You always see some curious things whilst cruising, but this washing hung in a tree made me giggle. It is a laundry tree.

IMG_4985

We were just leaving Nantwich when we spotted coming in the opposite direction Carol and Adrian on NB Rypeck. They were the mooring organisers at the re-opening of the Droitwich Canals.

IMG_4987

We only had time to exchange the a few words, but it was lovely to see them both again and I am sure we will see them again sometime.

IMG_4988

The sun was shining as we past Hurleston Junction, which takes you up on to the Llangollen Canal, which is where we will be hopefully going next year.

As we approached Barbridge Junction, we saw Historic Working Boats, Mountbatten and Jellicoe.

IMG_4996

The pair are owned by Mel and Ivor Batchelor, but are up for sale at the moment, which is sad. Only serious buyers should apply.

At Minshull Lock I met some lovely ladies over from Canada, enjoying their first ever canal holiday on Black Prince boat Claudia. One of the ladies asked if I would give them further instruction on how to work the locks, even though they had already dine 29 of them having set off 3 days ago. Still as I always say you can never have to much instruction hahaha. They were clearly enjoying their time in the UK, which is all that counts. I wished them a lovely holiday as they went on their way. Minshull Lock was our last lock of the day, we were getting close to our mooring destination for the day with cows standing on parade.

IMG_5009 

Just after I took this photograph the cow nearest to the camera took a step in the wrong direction and fell in the canal, thankfully she was able to climb straight back out again. We arrived at our mooring for the day over looking Winsford Top Flash. The canal was busy this morning, but the only queuing going on was in the opposite direction at the locks, we went through not being held up at all which is how we like it.

The Winsford Flash is now an area of natural beauty on the River Weaver. It was caused, and formed, when the underground caverns from where the salt had been pumped out as brine, collapsed. The UK's largest rock salt mine is in Winsford. Salt extraction began at Winsford in the 17th century, to begin with the salt was purely used as a salt lick for animals. The in 1844 Winsford Rock Salt Mine was opened. The salt taken from the mine today is used to grit the roads.

I really did enjoy my cruising this morning, I am not sure what the afternoon will bring, but I am sure it will be lovely.

Chat soon xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails