*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Wednesday 17 August 2011

Wheelock to Church Lawton.

IMG_5057

Hi Folks.

Last night ended with a very pretty sunset and me in bed just after 9pm. I was shattered so was glad to put my head on the pillow. I did not hear a think until the alarm went off at 5am.

IMG_5059

Sunrise began as I walked Paddy up to the locks. A warm glow shone over the first of the Wheelock flight which I would be walking.

After breakfast Keith prepared the boat for the off whilst I worked the first of the 20 locks on route we would do.

IMG_5061

The lock cottage looked lovely with the sun coming up behind it. There was also a mist on the water again.

IMG_5069

I love working locks this early in the morning, when everything is so quiet.

IMG_5076

Many of the locks on this section are double locks, so you get a choice on which one to use. Unfortunately many of the locks were against us this morning, we did have a couple of locks later on which boats were coming out of, so we nipped into them afterwards.

IMG_5087

My favourite photo of the day is this one of juvenile Swallow's sitting on a lock gate waiting to be fed by their parents.

IMG_5091

As we approached Hassell Green the M6 Motorway was roaring with traffic and in the distance I could see Mow Cop shrouded in cloud.

IMG_5092

At Hassell Green there is a shop and a restaurant at the lock, which I hear is very good, we have been in the shop before but never tried the restaurant.

IMG_5099

It was not until 8.10am at the second of the Pierpoint Locks that we met another boat, by this time we had done 11 locks, so had broken the back of our morning cruise. Boats were now on the move, so we did meet people coming in the opposite direction, but we never had to queue at any of the locks. Keith put the Kettle on, so I could make some coffee, because I was parched having worked all the locks and walked most of the 5 plus miles. Still it is good exercise and on such a beautiful morning, I did not mind one bit.

We are now moored above the Church Lawton Locks for the rest of the day. I will probably take a walk up to the church which if I remember rightly is a very pretty one. But for now I am enjoying a coffee.

Chat later maybe xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails