*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Tuesday 2 August 2011

Wolverley.

 SAM_0164

Yesterday afternoon after lunch we took a walk into Wolverley as I wanted to refresh my memory of the village. No sooner I saw the house built into the rock, I soon remembered our last visit to this pretty village which lies on the River Stour and is a parish in the Wyre Valley District.

SAM_0163

Wolverley was mostly known for the Tin Industry. Wolverley Lower Mill which was established in 1670 by Philip Foley and Joshua Newborough, helped the village play a key role in the early tinplate industry. Sadly there is little to tell the story from the past.

SAM_0161

The caves carved into the Red Sand Stone are like something out of the ice age, these days the pub uses them to store chairs and tables. I was most interested in the Stratigraphy (Rock Layering). There were layers of pebbles then layers of smooth rock, if only these layers could talk.

SAM_0155

The St. John the Baptist church is quite a pretty little church built out of Red Brick. We were fortunate that the church was open today, so we thought we would go and have a look inside.

SAM_0158

What is most interesting is the balcony seating, which I have never seen in a church before.

Having seen everything there was to see, we walked back to the boat and I bought us both an ice cream from the Old Smithy's. That cafe really was doing a roaring business.

Wolverley maybe a small village, but it is incredible pretty with a wide and varied history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails