*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Friday 24 August 2012

Where has it gone??

Well, well I cannot believe it, we are into the late August bank holiday weekend and don't you just know it the weather is set to be unsettled, thankfully it is not the weekend for the Shackerstone Festival, that happens on the 1st and 2nd September, so fingers crossed.

Does anyone know where our summer has flown off to?

To be fair, the weather of this Summer has not really bothered me, Ok of course I do like the sun, but hey it has not stopped us cruising and it is only a drop of rain. I do however feel for the farms who have really been struggling to get their harvests in.

IMG_2916

With the wet weather some farmers are still trying to get their hay baled.

IMG_2879

Wheat in the fields will go black if not harvested soon and it will start sprouting and then only be good enough for chicken feed, which of course will lose the farmers yet more money.

SAM_3585

To combine wheat the moisture should not be more than 15% and so for many farmers they have to wait patiently for the sun to dry their crops. You can combine and then dry the crop in the sheds, but that costs a lot of money, which many farmers just do not have.

I remember as a child harvesting was a fun time. We would go on bale cart, helping to stack the bales on the trailers, then we would get a lift back to the farm on top of the stacked bales. Sadly that does not seem to happen any more all due to Health and Safety. I remember using a pitch fork to lift the lighter bales on to the trailers or to stack the bales in the field ready for collection. Don't get me wrong working on a farm is in no way romantic, but when you a child it can seem that way, especially when you get paid to pick up bales and stack them LOL.

I still have friends in farming and they are all over the place with their harvests, it has been stop start, stop start and now they just want it over with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails