*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Thursday 25 April 2013

Macclesfield to Fourlane Ends.

IMG_2448

Travelled 6.74 miles, 0 locks or swing bridges in a time of 3 hours 10 minutes.

We left Macclesfield at 8.55am after a restless night for me with my back. For those who did not read my posting about the Broadhurst Swingbridge, I strained my back whilst trying to close the damn thing and now I am paying for it. Anyway despite feeling somewhat jaded we headed off on what was a rather overcast start to the day.

IMG_2447

There are some wonderful bridges on the Macclesfield, I adore the snake bridges where the towpath changes from one side of the canal to the other. These bridges were designed to allow the horse to move from one side of the canal to the other without having to untie it from the boat, of course these days horse drawn boats are few and far between, but it is a wonderful piece of history.

IMG_2443

Mileage Stones.

IMG_2449

Hovis Mill in all its glory. The mill produced the flour which the Hovis bread was made from from 1898 to 1904. In 1904 the business outgrew the mill and so it was moved to Trafford Park, Manchester. To keep the mill in operation it went over to making the paper wrappers for the Hovis bread. Sadly in the 1990’s the mill became very run down and unloved, it was then bought and turned into the apartments you see today. The mill has retained many of its original features, which makes it all the more impressive.

IMG_2451

We stopped just after the mill to take on water. There was absolutely no way we could get into the edge, so even with my back playing up I had to make a leap of faith. Water tank topped up we headed on our way, through stunning countryside.

IMG_2455

If you have never been to this part of the world, I suggest you come and see it for yourself, it is truly beautiful.

IMG_2463

Another goose sitting on her nest.

IMG_2466

Watch out there is a Crocodile about.

IMG_2468

Approaching the Adelphi Mill, Bollington. There are visitor moorings here, but many of them have fallen into the water and are now fenced off which is a real shame. It looks like some serious work needs to take place on the Macclesfield Canal.

IMG_2472

White Nancy is a structure at the top of the northern extremity of The Saddle of Kerridge, overlooking the village of Kerridge and the town of Bollington. White Nancy was built as a Summer House by the Gaskell family in around 1815. it is thought it may have been built to commemorate the victory at the Battle of Waterloo. In 2012 it was painted to commemorate the Queen Diamond Jubilee.

IMG_2470

Clarence Mill, Bollington, with its stunning chimney. The Mill is a five storey former cotton spinning mill. It was built between 1834 and 1877 for the Swindells Family of Bollington. These days it houses apartments and businesses including a community Canalside Radio on 102.8 FM.

IMG_2476

Nest in the making.

IMG_2477

Our cruising day ended at 12.05pm at Fourlane Ends where we will stay for tonight. Just as we moored up drizzle began to fall, so it looked like we timed it just right. With it being lunchtime I cooked us bacon and eggs sandwiches with a coffee. Coal was bought in from the hold and the gas bottle was changed over because it ran out just as I was cooking my eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails