*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Monday 1 April 2013

Kings Langley Wide’s to Cow Roast.

Map picture

Travelled 7.85 miles, worked 23 locks in a time of 7 hours 5 minutes.

SAM_4930

A very chilly start to the day, someone has forgotten to tell the weather it is supposed to be warming up. Not only that it was doing its best to snow when we left our mooring at 8.45 am. Andrew on NB Boudica came past us as we were just about to leave ourselves, so we tagged on behind him and followed him to the first of the 23 locks for the day. On arriving at Hemel (Hemel Hempstead) we were met with a cheery wave from Christine on NB Andromeda, she is on her way to the Little Venice Cavalcade. It was nice to say a quick “Hello” to her again.

SAM_4934

By the time we reached Winkwell the snow had stopped. Keith let me off before Winkwell lock because the boat that is sinking is still there on the lock mooring bollards. I feel another e-mail coming on.

SAM_4936

I then walked up and operated the swing bridge, whilst Keith and Andrew carried on working the lock.

SAM_4939

We had a most enjoyable time cruising with Andrew, he has his own system like most people who single hand, so I let him do his thing whilst I did mine and it worked like a dream. We had thought we may originally stop at Sewerage but it was early and Andrew was carrying on so we reached Sewerage Lock at 12.15 pm and the pasties I had put in the oven earlier to warm through were almost ready and my stomach was thinking my throat had been cut. I had worked up such a hunger. After a bit to eat on the move I made us another coffee, to warm me through because it was cold, even with me doing all the lock work with Andrew.

SAM_4943

The Rising Sun looked so inviting with people drinking inside, I could have done with a pint.

SAM_4945

Berkhamstead was in sight and although we were not stopping, it was not that long ago that we had come through it.

SAM_4948

SAM_4949

Last locks of the day for us were the Dudswell pair, we were going to stop below Cow Roast Lock, because we knew the moorings were deep enough and there may not be anywhere to moor at Bulbourne. To be honest it did not feel like 23 locks worked, but when your haring even with someone who is single handing, it does make life so much easier. Andrew was a pleasure to be with and we did have a laugh. The moorings below Cow Roast lock on the piling were full so we moored up and put our Rond Anchors in, they will do for the night. Chilli is cooking on the stove and I am looking forward to a quiet night on our cosy boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails