*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Friday 12 July 2013

Goodbye Nottingham, Hello Gunthorpe.

Map picture

 

IMG_5395

Sunset over the War Memorial.

IMG_5418

3.30 am this morning, the memorial was looking stunning. Yeah I know your wondering why on earth was I awake at that time. Well I have no idea I just was and then so was Keith, so there was nothing for it but to make a cuppa.

Both of us did go back off to sleep after our cuppa and woke at 7 am to hazy sunshine and the sound of the geese.

IMG_5426

We left Nottingham at 9.10 am having said “Cheerio” to Maggie, who we left sitting on the embankment. We decided we would head off down river to a quieter weekend mooring, as we figured it was going to be getting very busy in Nottingham over the weekend, what with the Ashes going on and lots of holiday makers and weekend boaters out.

IMG_5430

Back down river from whence we came. You may notice in the distance a windmill, this is Green's Windmill and was built by the father of notable scientist and mathematician George Green in 1807.

IMG_5446

The scenery was quite breath taking and very much like being on the Thames.

IMG_5483

Our first lock of the day was Holme Lock. The great thing about the locks on the River Trent is they are manned, so all’s I had to do was walk the gunwale to the bow, where I could get the rope over a bollard, the rest of the work was done by the Canal and River Trust lock keepers. At Holme Lock is Holme Pierrepoint the home of the National Water Sports Centre and Country Park, we have every intention of visiting it on our return trip. The lock keeper was going to radio ahead to let them know we were coming, that saved us the job, even though Keith had the radio on ready.

IMG_5493

The locks are much deeper than I expected.

IMG_5510

Stoke Lock was our second lock and they were ready for us.

IMG_5522

Below Stoke Lock I saw lots of Sand Martin holes in the sand banks. The nest site was busy with Sand Martins flitting in and out of the holes. Such a joy to see on a sunny day.

IMG_5525

A glorious sight on a hazy Summer day.

IMG_5548

Gunthorpe Bridge. Until 1875, the only way to cross the river was by ferry, or ford. Then in the 1870’s the Gunthorpe Bridge Company was formed to build the bridge. The foundation stone was laid in 1873 and the bridge opened in 1875. It was built largely in iron. It is an impressive sight. Above the bridge are pontoon moorings for visitors and this was to be our destination.

IMG_5552

Keith turned the boat upstream and we moored on the end of the pontoon.

76500_10151772072529532_36371444_n

This is to be our home for the weekend and very nice it is too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails