*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Friday 5 July 2013

Lunch in Barrow-upon-Soar.

Map picture

Travelled 5.5 miles, worked 5 locks in a time of 2 hours and 50 minutes.

IMG_4983

We had a nice relaxing start to the day with the sun shining brightly and the temperature climbing even at 7 am. We left our over night mooring at 8.55 am and headed for Junction Lock.

IMG_4985

The locks today were definitely easier which is a welcome sign for the next few days. It seems as though the maintenance on the ones through Leicester is the major stumbling block as to why people do not travel that way.

IMG_4986

The views across the countryside are breath taking and not something I remember from 2009.

IMG_4989

The trip to Cossington Lock was made on the Wreake River, below the lock we re-joined the River Soar.

IMG_5008

I love rivers because they are wide and deep and we only saw two other boats on the move.

SAM_5581

We arrived at Sileby Mill Lock.

IMG_5014

I remember we stopped here in 2009. There has been a mill on this site since 1608, the present mill is a private residence.

IMG_5018

The thought was to stop at Mountsorrel as we did not get the chance to stop in 2009. We had hoped to stop and walk up to see what is left of the Castle on the hill. The castle was used as a bastion against King Stephen, and was subsequently destroyed in 1217 by the King's men from Nottingham. All that remains of the castle today is a granite crag on Castle Hill. The hill is also the site of a memorial (by Shirley Harrison, 1926) to those who lost their lives in World War.

IMG_5019

The 48 hour moorings were full with breasted boats and there were even boats moored on the lock moorings, so there was no mooring here. One of the boaters did tell me at the lock they were all staying there for the weekend.

IMG_5020

We left Mountsorrel and headed off to find somewhere else to moor.

IMG_5022

This bridge looks new but has a date on it for 1860.

IMG_5027

Passed this amazing table and benches at Meadow Farm Marina. I absolutely love it.

IMG_5028

Most stunning garden award today goes to this garden it was stunning.

IMG_5033

Barrow Deep Lock with its traffic light system for when the river is high or low. Today it is low and so the green light was showing.

IMG_5035

11.45 am we moored up below the lock on bollard moorings and the heat was definitely on the way up, but I am not complaining.

SAM_5587

With it being so hot, I suggested we had a cooked lunch at The Boathouse. That way I could do us some rolls for dinner. Lunch was very nice, Cottage Pie, Chips and Peas for £4.95 each washed down by a pint each of Hog Goblin. Whilst we had lunch a Lancaster flew over twice, such a treat.

SAM_5585

We then walked up into the town to get some salad items, as I am not going to be cooking for the next few days. There is a Co-op, Cost Cutters, Butchers, Boots, Hairdressers, Takeaways Indian and Chinese and a couple of other places so everything a boater needs really. This will be home for the next couple of days and so we look forward to having a good nose around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails