*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Sunday 1 May 2022

We are out.

Dear friends. 

It has finally happened, we are out and about at long last. Our first day on Saturday was from Saltisford Arm to Long Itchington. A Five hour journey in beautiful sunshine, but it felt like 12 hours. Our day began early with a cuppa and the news on TV. We then had to get up and make ready for the day ahead. We disconnected our electric hook up and telephone, fired up the engine and let loose the ropes from the forend and the stern. Hadar's engine thumped away as we reversed out of the Arm and onto the Grand Union Canal. Our first stop was to say "cheerio" to Jules and Andrew at the stables. As you know I have been helping out there twice a week. After a hug and a chat they waved us off. Cape locks beckoned, where we found the day trippers on Saltie II having breakfast on the lock landing of the second lock. As we approached they decided to set off in front of us.


They soon realised they were holding us up and so they pulled over and let us pass. We ploughed on through Royal Leamington-Spa and then at Radford Semele, we shared the lock with a boating family, they then stopped for lunch and we carried on and met up with Penny and Bruce, who moor in front of us in the Arm. They were on their way home. We then shared the next five locks with Liz and her partner, before we stopped at Long Itchington. It was fair to say my knees and hips were screaming at me. The lack of boating certainly showed on day one.

Bedtime was 9.30pm, mainly because I was shattered and legs would not stop moving, so I thought time for bed and a chance to rest my tired body. It did the trick because Day Two and I woke up full of beans. Both Keith and I slept really well. It was so quiet until around 7am, when an airplane flew over. We had had some rain early doors and once up, it became apparent we were in for a damp day. Having gotten up and had breakfast, we untied and set off. We made it up the first two locks and were then waved down by the boating family we met yesterday. This time it was only Sheila and her daughter Mo on the boat, because Sheila's husband was moving the car. We shared the Stockton flight and Calcutt Locks with Sheila and Mo on Team Dashadoobry and a lovely time was had. They have been living afloat for 4 years and were heading to Brinklow to have some work done on the boat. It was an absolute pleasure sharing with them. We breasted the boats up, meaning more hands on the lock work. 
We parted company at Wigrams Turn to head down the South Oxford.
The last time we did the South Oxford was in 2015. 
At the bottom of the Napton Locks, we were greeted by Colin one of the Volunteer Lock Keepers. He knew all about Hadar's model railway and he is a keen modeller himself, so he and Keith has lots to chat about, whilst two boats went through the first lock ahead of us.
It was good to see the Water Buffalo at Lock 13. They are not something you see everyday. We had a good run up the locks even with the boats ahead of us, we also had some boats coming down.
Moored up at 4:10 after Priors Hardwick bridge No.123 on the summit pound having done 7hrs 55mins, 22 locks.

Pop back soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails