*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Thursday 16 December 2010

Flu-jabs and Snow Showers.

Hi Friends.

We stepped another day closer to Christmas and a step further away from actually moving, because the weather has taken a turn for the worst as forecast.

This morning I slept in till 8.30am, which has to be some sort of a record for me. The day started as always with me taking Pad out for his walk. I went further up the towpath to see if there was any progress with the canal thawing, but just from looking at it, I could see it was still some three inches thick, which we could break, but what is the point in being stuck in the middle of nowhere, I am then no use to my customers.
Back onboard it was a Porridge morning. I love Porridge, because it warms the bodies core and is a good source of energy. Keith loves Syrup on his, I am a sugar lover.
Job of the day were to top up the water tank, ready for the forecast freeze. Whilst the tank was filling, I unloaded a bag of housecoal for the back stove and a bag of logs for the saloon stove. I am all about being prepared. The tank took half an hour to top up, this was mainly due to the fact that the flow is so slow. Tank topped up, I then got asked for 6 bags of coal to be delivered to Gill and Don on NB Idunno, so that was my next task. To make the job easier Keith put the new wheels we got yesterday on our old sack barrow, so we split the bags of coal between us and set off for the basin. Gill very kindly offered us Coffee and neither of us like to refuse an offer of Coffee, so whilst Keith took the trolley back to the boat, I settled into a nice warm cabin with Gill for Coffee and a chat. Keith and I spent an hour nattering with Gill, we then headed back to our boat for lunch.

Lunch over with we set off down the town to get our Flu-jabs. Mistry's in the town is offering them for £15, no appointment needed. Gill told us that she had been for her's there and with so many coming down with the flu around us, we decided it was a good idea to obtain the flu-jab. I used to have one every year until a couple of years ago because I always ended up with Bronchitis. But my GP stopped me having it because for two years the Bronchitis stayed away. He did not see any point in me having the flu-jab, which was fair enough. But with my job I feel I need to keep well. I am no good to my customers if I am laid up in bed with the flu. To get the flu-jab it was so easy. We filled in a short form, walked into an office, rolled up our sleeves and had the needle stuck in. Nothing to it . I must admit I feel a lot happier knowing I am protected from the H5N1 flu and Swine flu. I already know someone who has a mild does of Swine flu. With a couple of other things done down in the town, we walked back to the boat in the snow. It was coming down pretty hard, much earlier than forecast.

Back at the boat we left the closed sign up and were about to settle in for the evening, when I got a phone call from one of my customers who is stuck at Kilby Bridge, he wanted to come and collect some coal by car, so I donned my donkey jacket, hat and gloves. Unloading coal in slippery conditions and dusk can be dangerous, but I managed to do it without breaking my neck. With the snow now falling down heavily I wheeled the sacks around the basin and waited for my customer to arrive. There was something magical about standing under a street lamp watching the snow fall. It drew my mind to 'The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe' and the scene with the lamp in the wood. Customer arrived on time and very grateful to me for coming out in the snow. I told him "It is what I do".
Tomorrow we had hoped to be moving up through Foxton Locks to supply our customers at Crick and Welford, but that is not going to happen, because the canal is still frozen solid and is set to freeze even more. I absolutely hate letting people down, so have come up with some alternative suppliers. I just hope that I can offer them some help in this period of bad weather.
Dinner tonight is once again Oxtail stew, but this time we are having it with Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts. Stay safe and warm out there xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails