*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Saturday 4 December 2010

Is this a sad reflection???

Hi Folks.

This weather we are experiencing, has thrown up all sorts of problems for everyone, but none more so than the elderly, who are frail and sometimes housebound. I was shocked and saddened to hear on the news about two pensioners who froze to death in their gardens.

Lillian Jenkinson, 80, was found in her back garden in Workington, Cumbria, whilst William Wilson, 84, died after slipping in the back yard of his home near Kirkby Stephen. This is no way for someone to die, especially in this day and age.

So I am asking is this a sad reflection on society, that no one was keeping an eye on these two elderly people?
Have we forgotten to check on our neighbours, because we are so wrapped up in our own lives?

When I lived on dry land, I had an elderly neighbour, who I regularly checked on throughout the year, not just in the Winter. But for obvious reason, it is more important to make sure your elderly neighbour is warm and fed when the weather is like it has been of late. I of course realise that we all like our independance, and I also know that they do not want to bother anyone, but I am not sure I could have lived with myself, knowing that my neighbour had died, because no one had checked on her. As it turned out, she did have a fall in her garden whilst feeding the birds she loved. Thankfully I heard her cries shortly after she had fallen and was able to get her help. She broke her collar bone and therefore needed help getting dressed and undressed, which I did for her and I also made sure she had hot meals and her fires were kept stoked. It only took a short period out of my day, but at least I knew she was warm and safe. Of course it did cross my mind, what if I had been out. I would have been mortified if she had been laying there for ages. But that was not the case thankfully.
If you have an elderly neighbour please go and check on them. Offer your services, even if it is just to get their paper for them and take in the milk. We should all be looking out for each other when the weather is bring this cruel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails