*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Sunday 31 March 2013

Black Jack’s Lock, Harefield to Kings Langley Wides.

Map picture
Travelled 10.24 miles, worked 16 locks in a time of 7 hours 5 minutes.
IMG_1882
We left our mooring at 9.30 am on a bright and sunny Easter Morning. There was a little ice on the canal and frost on the grass, so a perfect day for having a long cruising day. For us this was the start of the trip north in earnest. We need to get to Braunston first to get our fridge/freezer fixed and then it is onward north, so long days are expected.
At Copper Mill Lock we paired up with NB Bodica and her owner Andrew, he very kindly waited for us.
IMG_1890
We left Copper Mill behind with Andrew following, he got held by by a widebeam across the canal, but caught us up at the next lock.
IMG_1896
Spring seemed to have sprung, Coots were nesting and the Drakes were trying to drown the Mallards. How quickly it has come around again.
IMG_1900
Below Stokers Lock saw this stunning parrot in the window of a boat, the bird was chatting away whilst bouncing up and down in the window.
IMG_1901
I also spotted a Lion in hiding.
Rickmansworth was heaving with boats as usual, we had no plans to stop as there was nothing open, even the Tesco car park was empty.
IMG_1909
We said “Cheerio” to Andrew at Lock Mead Lock and I thanked him for his company. I ducked down into the back cabin to start cooked some spicy chicken for dinner, which was then put into the stove to simmer away for the afternoon.
IMG_1946
We met and passed Pisces at Common Moor lock.
IMG_1947
We passed Les and Jaqueline on NB Valerie above Cassio Wharf Lock.
IMG_1951
I do so love Cassiobury Park.
Lunch was eaten on the run and coffee and biscuits were dished up to keep the energy levels up because by the time we reached Home Park Lock, I was beginning to flag a bit.
IMG_1962
Before mooring up on the Kings Langley Lock wides, we passed Stein and Jacquie on NB Like Ducks 2 Water.
SAM_4929
We had both done our bit for the day and so mooring up at 4.35 pm was a long enough day, especially for me working the 16 double locks. I have a feeling I may well sleep well tonight. Before closing the boat up to the world, Paddy got a much needed brush, he has been moulting such a lot this past couple of weeks that his hair has been falling out in clumps. Once brushed I put the hair in the hedge for the birds to use for nesting. Such a wonderful day and so many lovely things seen. Cormorants, Red Kite, Kingfisher etc, there is no better way to spend Easter Day. We did see others on the move as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails