*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Wednesday 7 August 2013

Back on the Coventry.

Map picture

Travelled 5.85 miles, worked 5 locks in a time of 3 hours 40 minutes.

SAM_5973

We left Alrewas at 8.50 am after a pretty quiet evening. It was only disturbed by the boat in front of us, who started up his engine at 8 pm and ran it for an hour, despite their being signs along the moorings asking for boaters to be considerate to the home owners. Maybe the gentleman needs to read considerate boating. Anyway we set off for the first lock of the day Bagnall Lock with a boat in front of us and one behind.

SAM_5974 

The boat in front were in the lock when we arrived, they were having trouble keeping the bottom gates closed because the balance of the gates meant they kept opening on their own, they were also trying to handle two dogs which were on the lock side. Now I have said this before, dogs should remain on the boat when at locks, I see no reason for having your dog or dogs running around at a lock. The woman told me that the smaller of the dogs tended to wander off at locks, so she found it hard to handle the dog and work the lock. Well to me it is not rocket science, keep the dog on the boat. I helped them up through the lock and they went on their way. Came up through the lock with the help of another boater who was behind us. The bottom gates are a pain, but there are ways to keep the gates shut, you just need to know them.

SAM_5975

Goodbye to Alrewas. Onward to Common Lock and yet another dog worrying around the lock grrrrrrr. The owner made the dog sit and told me I made her sit because otherwise you will find her up behind you without you knowing. Now to me that is then going to be a trip hazard. I do not want to spend my time watching other peoples dogs, I prefer to concentrate on working my lock. I did say to the lady about keeping her dog on the boat, but she reckoned the dog cries when she leaves the boat. I can see a day when there is going to be a dreadful accident at a lock with a dog, we all know that locks can be dangerous and the terrible accident a couple of weeks ago on the Buckby flight reminded us all how dangerous locks can be and yet there was no dog involved. You need eyes in the back of your head, if you want to work a lock and control your dog. Sorry but you cannot do both.

SAM_5978

Hunts Lock.

SAM_5979

We stopped above Huts Lock to empty the cassette and get rid of rubbish, the water point was taken so we left that until we turned at the junction.

SAM_5980

Heading for Keepers Lock.

SAM_5981

Fradley Junction.

SAM_5982

In Keepers Lock.

SAM_5983

Whilst I closed the gate at Keepers Lock, Keith turned Hadar left at the junction, which bought us back on to the Coventry Canal. I then legged it to open the footbridge, so Keith could get through.

SAM_5984

We moored on the water point to fill up with water.

SAM_5989

There were a lot of boaters on the move today as we made our way past Streethay Wharf.

SAM_5990

We moored up just past Streethay Wharf. Opposite us is a riding school and I can see a plane sitting in the field, hope I see that go up. Moored up, lunch was made and eaten and so now it is time to think about what jobs to get done today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails