*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Thursday 1 August 2013

Lunch in Burton-upon-Trent

Map picture

Travelled 5.3 miles worked 1 lock in a time of 2 hours 5 minutes.

SAM_5863

Yesterday due to the weather we did not bother moving, after all no point getting soaked if you do not have to. I did however feel for those who were on the move, there were a lot of hirers looking like drowned rats.

So this morning we left our mooring at 8.50 am, crossed over to the sanitary station to empty the toilet cassette.

SAM_5865

Wonder what the lump is on the roof of the house in the distance, I wondered if it was something to do with star gazing?

SAM_5867

We crossed over the River Dove.

SAM_5870

Pillbox on the aqueduct.

SAM_5872

Horninglow basin.

SAM_5873

Dallow Lock. Back to the single locks.

SAM_5875

We moored up just past Shobnall Fields, with a view of the Marston Brewery, well I can see it if I stand on the roof of the boat.

Having done the boat jobs we locked the boat up and walked into Burton-upon-Trent.

SAM_5876

The walk is approximately a 25 minute walk from the road bridge.

SAM_5877

Past Shobnall Marina.

SAM_5878

The town has some outstanding buildings.

SAM_5879

Burton Shopping Centre. Lovely shopping centres and market.

wingwah

We had a fantastic lunch at Wingwah for £6.99 each as much as we could eat. The town is a beautiful little town with many historic buildings and of course a brewing history and places to visit such as the National Brewery Centre. Brewers Coors and Marston are dominant in the town. Coors was originated from Bass Brewers which was founded in 1777, the company has gone through many name changes over the years.

Marstons

Marstons Brewery have over 2,000 public houses in the UK and we have enjoyed food and a pint of two in some of them.

SAM_5881

Where ever you look there are buildings of outstanding beauty in the town, we really did enjoy our visit, but with the heat rising and us both dripping, we decided to head back to the boat. I did pick up a new top from a charity shop and I went into go old Wilkinson’s to get a couple of new paint brushes. Last of the big spenders. The forecasters got it right it is sweltering, I flung open the side doors and engine room doors to let some air into the boat. The solar panel was soaking up all the rays giving us plenty of battery power.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails