*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Friday 29 June 2012

Dutton Locks to Barnton Cut visitor moorings on the River Weaver.

Map image

Travelled 5.3 miles, passed through 2 locks in a time of 1 hour 52 minutes.

With no TV signal, Keith and I went out for a walk. To the left I walked down to the viaduct.

IMG_1531 

Giving me a great view of the boat below the locks.

IMG_1530

There is Dutton Farm Park, if you want a decent walk and see some of the flora and fauna, Keith and I then walked up past Dutton Locks, where there is an interesting read on the locks information board.

SAM_2020

Unfortunately the Dutton Locks website no longer exists.

SAM_2022

We walked past the sunken boat 'MV Chica'.

SAM_2026

MV Chica was a wooden sail powered cargo boat, built in 1894.

IMG_1571

The 'MV Chica' has languished at Dutton Locks since one dark night in March 1993 when she allegedly, without it appears any outside assistance, sank at her mooring. An interesting piece has been written about her. READ also READ. Both pieces show that the 'MV Chica' had an exciting life. So it is sad to see her as she is today.

Our walk lead us along the towpath, we then turned left on to a footpath, which took us away from the river.

SAM_2035

We followed the footpath across fields.

IMG_1543

This calf decided that the horse needed a wash.

SAM_2037

It took us to bridge 211 on the Trent and Mersey Canal. From the bridge you can see Dutton Locks and Acton Swing Bridge.

IMG_1548

SAM_2039

The sun was beginning to set and after enjoying a stunning view, we did an about turn and walked back down the foot path.

SAM_2029

It was very atmospheric with the sun going down over the Dutton Weir.

SAM_2050

Dutton Viaduct at sun down.

IMG_1559

Just as we got back to the boat Richard pulled into the lock mooring on Pangur Ban another Roger Fuller boat.

My day ended with watching a DVD and then retiring to my bed, where the new pillows were waiting for me.

A new day and the sun was shining. Three boats went up through the locks early, these included Pangur Ban, we followed sharing the lock with Camelot II.

IMG_1562

I waved farewell to 'MV Chica' as we passed her by.

SAM_2057

By the time we got to Acton Swing Bridge we had caught up with Richard who had stopped for water.

SAM_2063

We were one of five boats in Saltersford Lock, we breasted up with Richard and Camelot II came alongside us. I had a lovely chat to Keith the lock keeper whilst we waited for the lock to fill.

SAM_2067

We left the Saltersford Locks and made our way to the Barnton Cut moorings, where Richard moored in front of us. He very kindly invited us in for a coffee and a chat. With us both having Roger Fuller boats, we had a lot to chat about. Richard has only had the boat since Christmas and so is still getting to know her. It is always lovely to meet new boaters and especially those who have Roger Fuller boats. After time spent on Richard's boat, it was time to say cheerio and to head back to Hadar for some lunch.

As I type this the sun is shining and the wind is blowing. I have some washing hung out to dry on the back counter. I am now going to enjoy a relaxing afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails