*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Tuesday 12 March 2013

Topside Lock to between Sewer Lock No.58 and Bridge No.145.

Map picture

Travelled 1 miles, worked 3 locks in a time of 1 hour 10 minutes.

An incredibly cold start to the day, with the temperature having dropped to –4.7 C over night. We woke to trains roaring along the railway track opposite us and a wind blowing an icy gale. Whilst we enjoyed a cup of tea in bed, I got the back cabin stove going to warm up a rather chilly cabin, not even Marmite stayed on the side bed because it was cold.

SAM_4704

With both fires stoked up, a chicken put in the back cabin stove to cook, Paddy walked and breakfast eaten it was time to head off at 9.20 am.

SAM_4705

With the wind gusting across the canal it meant for some nifty manouvering of the boat on Keith’s behalf, to get into Top Side Lock.

SAM_4706

On some of the locks bottom paddles there are notices requesting that locks are left empty and a bottom paddle left up and this was the same at Bottom Side Lock.

SAM_4707

At Sewer Lock it was so cold there were icicles hanging from the gates, but definitely no lack of water on the Grand Union Canal.

SAM_4709

We moored up having exited Sewer Lock, behind us is Jac and Les on NB Valerie. Jac invited us in for coffee once we were moored up. Our problem was finding a deep enough mooring, the only place was in front of them. We had a lovely coffee with Jac and a chat, then Les came back from his bus trip into Hemel Hempstead. We are going to be seeing them again lately.

Just a short jaunt today, but still very enjoyable in the cold conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails