*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Thursday 21 March 2013

Walk into Uxbridge

Map picture

With only a couple of days to go before we dry dock for blacking and the hard work begins, Keith and I strolled into Uxbridge to do a bit of window shopping and lunch out.

SAM_4827

We walked down to Uxbridge Lock where there have been a lot of changes. Where the old mill used to be there are now new apartments.

SAM_4829

Behind the Crown and Treaty there is a brand new office block. The Crown and Treaty is where Charles I and his Parliamentary opponents during the English Civil War held negotiations (the Treaty of Uxbridge) between 30 January and 22 February 1645.

SAM_4835

We wandered into the railway station for a nose around as you do.

SAM_4830

I like the stain glass window above our heads as we walked in to the station.

SAM_4831

Four years ago we took a train from this station to Keith’s home town of Ruislip. One of the new Metropolitan trains in Uxbridge station.

SAM_4832

I do love this statue ‘"Anticipation" by Anita Lafford. It was presented to the people of the London Borough of Hillingdon by the Hillingdon Arts Society. It was unveiled by HM Queen Elizabeth II during her Golden Jubilee visit on the 25 June 2002. When I have tried to photograph it before, people have been sitting around it, but not today.

SAM_4834

As we walked around the town I spotted this lovely old cinema building.  The Regal Cinema was built for A.E. Abrahams who already operated the large Regal Cinema at Marble Arch in London’s West End and opened on 26th December 1931 screening the film “Reaching For the Moon” starring Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. and Bebe Daniels. Although the cinema closed on 4th November 1977 screening Julie Christie in “Demon Seed”, but was immediately given a Grade II status, thus allowing it to hold on to its Art Deco style. Although it could do with a bit of TLC it is wonderful to see a building like this survive. Having stood empty for many years it was turned into a nightclub in 1984, but due to its listing and special arrangements all the fitting remained as did the Compton Organ, which is still there to this day even though now Liquid nightclub is running it.

SAM_4836

The centre of town has two main shopping centres, The Chimes and The Pavilion, both of which are large, clean and airy. Whilst in The Pavilion I bought some 2Lamb and 2Chicken Spring Rolls, 2Onion Bargees and some 2  Samosas all of which went into the freezer. They cost me £8 and were a bargain as a lot bigger than the ones you buy in the supermarkets. We plan of having them whilst in dry dock. I really like Uxbridge, it is well laid out and very friendly.

SAM_4837

A modern day version of a penny farthing.

Having enjoyed our wander, we had a buffet lunch at Pizza Hut which was very nice and made a nice change for us.

SAM_4838 

Walking back to the boat back along the towpath, this is what greeted us. Boaters rubbish just dumped on the towpath near the Swan and Bottle pub. Those who dumped this rubbish should be ashamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails