*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Monday 31 October 2016

Scary stuff.

Hi Folks.

Happy Halloween if your into it and commiserations if you are not a fan like me.

Halloween has its origins in pagan festivals held around the end of October in England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. it was believed that, at this time of year, the spirits of the dead would come 'alive' and then they would walk among the living. Oddly they thought they should dress up in costumes, as this may help them avoid being harmed by the spirits. Perhaps this is the origin of the Halloween costumes seen today. Halloween celebrations were outlawed, in Puritan times but they were revived in later years. Halloween used to be called All Hallows Eve, or the day before All Saints' Day, observed on November 1. As I have said I am not a lover of the celebrations called Trick or Treat, because it is not always done with the best intentions and this can frighten the young and old and everyone in between. When we lived within four brick walls, we used to lock the doors, close the curtains and take the batteries out of the doorbell and nothing was going to make us answer the door. Now living on our boat, thankfully we do not get bothered by trick or treat.

Along with Halloween comes Bonfire night, when there will be fireworks going off from every direction. I do absolutely love watching fireworks and have been to organised events which have literally rocked the ground with the thumps and thuds. Last night we had fireworks going on opposite our boat, which was a bit of a worry. Mog and Dog thankfully were not to bothered by the noise, over the years they have begun to ignore the bangs and whistles. When we first got them both, they would really panic. Marmite as a kitten panicked so much, that she crawled under the engine.
Always my main worry is for our sheeting, but it was fine thankfully. November 5th is coming and so is the big firework and bonfire do locally, so we will turn up the TV and hopefully keep Mog and Dog calm. I do so feel for anyone's pets who are absolutely petrified of fireworks.

If you are having a bonfire and fireworks, please remember to check the bonfire for Hedgehogs, especially if you have had your bonfire built for a while, because Hedgehogs love to curl up and go to sleep in them.

Have a safe and happy Halloween and Bonfire night, but do think of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails