*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****

Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.

I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****

Wednesday 1 February 2012

Coffee, Mr Tesco and Market Harborough.


Having done the usual morning chores, I suggested to Keith that we should go out for a walk to stretch the legs and to take in some fresh air, so we put on our hats and coats and headed off to Foxton Locks.


There is something incredibly refreshing about walking when it is cold and frosty. The air feels so new and clean.


Moored in the spot we had been moored in at the weekend was The Candy Boat, Trev was cutting up wood, so we stood and had a chat with him. We caught up on the news of their season and how well it had gone. Having enjoyed catching up with Trev, we went into Bridge 61 for a coffee and a chat with Dawn who was on duty in the kitchen. Mick stoked the fire up and it was not long before other people came in for a warm and a hot drink. Our walk back to the boat took us away from the canal and along a footpath towards Foxton village, which comes out behind Foxton church.


We really enjoyed getting out in the fresh air, back on the boat I baked some bread and made us some soup for lunch. I then settled in to wait for Mr Tesco to arrive with our much needed food delivery.

2.45pm Mr Tesco arrived with our food delivery, which I collected from him at Black Horse Bridge. Then we prepared the boat for the off, as we wanted to head for Market Harborough.

Map image

At 2.55pm we set off from Foxton village, I opened the swing bridge and then whilst Keith steered the boat, I was down in the galley putting our food delivery away. It was wonderful to see the fridge, freezer and cupboard full again.


It takes more than a bit of ice to stop us moving. The ice in question was about half an inch thick and in places there was none at all. Having stowed all the shopping away, I made dumplings for our Lamb Shank stew which was cooking in the back cabin stove and some coffee for Keith and I to warm us on our journey.


Keith snug in his donkey jacket and hat.

The light was beginning to fade as we approached Market Harborough.


With so few boats on the move of late, we knew there would be a mooring outside of Union Wharf and we were not disappointed, we had a few to choose from, but for us it was the depth of water which chose our mooring, because on the first two attempts to get it we did not succeed, thankfully it was third time lucky, but we are still not right into the bank, so Paddy may have to do a leap of faith when he needs to go for his walk. So we are moored up, and now nice and snug, against what is supposed to be a cold night again with the temperature dropping to at least -2c according to BBC Weather for this area.

I really did enjoy cruising in the ice, there is something magical about listening to the ice break and watching it slide across the surface of the water.

Right off to enjoy a evening by the fire.

Chat soon x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.


Related Posts with Thumbnails