*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Tuesday 7 May 2019

Day 59: Barrow upon Soar to Mountsorrel.

Hello Family, friends and followers.

Today was moving day. We woke to a sunny start and it also seemed a little warmer, having just had a cold Bank Holiday weekend. We were only doing a short cruise, so there was no need to be up and at it first thing. Leisurely getting myself organised was  definitely the way to go today.
9.20am we left our weekend mooring and headed for Barrow Boating to use the sanitary station facilities. We required water and the emptying of two cassettes. I knew the water tank was not empty, but I had done a couple of laundry washes and obviously we had showers etc. We can usually go two weeks and three weeks if I do not use the washing machine. But if we are near a water tap, I like to top us up. The tap was not the quickest, and it took us half an hour to fill the tank.
Having said "goodbye" to Barrow upon Soar, we headed off in at a sedate pace, especially whilst passing lot of moored boats. I have been amazed by the amount of widebeam boats on the River. When we did this a few years ago, there was no where near the number there are now and a lot of them look pretty new.
We have noticed a lot of Pennywort along the river. This stuff is a nightmare, because it will cover the water in a green blanket and make it very difficult to cruise through.
Having arrived in Mountsorrel, I got off the boat, by kneeing on the lock mooring. It is the only way I can get up onto the wall, because my legs are not long enough to step up.
Whilst working the lock, we had a chat to our friend Beryl. She was painting around the lock as part of her volunteering. We moored up on the visitor moorings and I got on with making us some lunch.
After lunch and a coffee, we went off for a stroll around the village. We have never had the chance before, so it was nice to finally see the village for ourselves.
The village is known for its Buttercross Market, which is in the centre of the village. The Butter Market was built in 1793 by the Lord of the Manor, Sir John Danvers, to replace the fifteenth century Market Cross, which he had removed to use on his estate in Swithland, where it still remains.
We then climbed up to the War Memorial.  The memorial was designed by Shirley Harrison,1926 to those who lost their lives in World War I and II.
The views were breathtaking. We could see for miles and miles. It was so worth the climb on what was the site of a castle many, many moons ago.
Back down we walked and into the Waterside Inn for a pint. I felt we deserved it. Mountsorrel is a pretty village, with a few shops and pretty houses and buildings.

Pop back soon xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails