*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Monday 3 May 2010

Life Moves On.


A friend posted this on her Facebook and I thought I would share it with you. Because I think it is so true.

The Two Wolves --
A Cherokee elder was teaching his grandchildren about life. He said to them, “A fight is going on inside me… it is a terrible fight between two wolves. One wolf represents fear, anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, hatefulness, and lies. The other stands for joy, peace, love, hope, humbleness, kindness, friendship, generosity, faith, and truth. This same fight is going on inside of you, and inside every other person, too.” The children thought about it for a minute. Then one child asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”The Cherokee elder replied…“The one you feed.”

Here we are on another Bank Holiday Monday, and it has to be said that the weather is pants. I had to relight the fire yesterday, because it was getting a tad chilly onboard. This time last year we were sitting outside enjoying the Little Venice Cavalcade with hundreds of other people. I bet this year they are wrapped up in their woolly pulleys against this cold Northerly wind.
I was led in bed this morning starring at the ceiling, listening to K sleeping and the birds singing and I had loads of things running through my head. I was thinking of all the things I could write about today, but the one thing that kept coming to the fore, was the fact that many of our boating friends have given up their lives on the canal and have moved back on to dry land. When I say many, I mean four in the past year. This I find really sad, because they have been on the water for many years and yet their lives have moved on and away from their floating homes. I always say that I cannot see me ever moving back on to the land. But I never say never, because we do not know what the future may hold. For a couple of our friends, their time of life and the chance of part-time jobs has changed their plans. For another friend, he felt that the water was not for him anymore having found that people on the cut have changed with their attitudes, so he has just sold up and moved on to dry land. For our other friend, he still has his boat, but is now living in a house. We meet many people who choose to live on a boat, but keep their homes on land, just in case things change. We took the approach that we did not need the house any longer and therefore sold it lock, stock and barrel, because we want to live out our remaining days on the cut. When the day comes that we can no longer move the boat, due to old age or ill health, we will find a mooring somewhere and set up camp so to speak, but until that day comes, we want to enjoy the cut and all it has to offer. I have felt since living on the cut, that I have come home. I know that sounds really strange, but that is how I feel. Throughout my life I have loved being near water. I reckon if I did not live on the cut, I would have to move near the beach or a lake. It is as if the water is calling me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails