*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Monday 22 February 2010

World Think Day

Good morning.

Did you know that today is World Thinking Day??
I certainly did not and I was once a Girl Guide. That was back in the 70's though, so maybe they did not have this day then. I was also a Brownie and remember those days very fondly.
The World Thinking Day theme for 2010 is girls worldwide say "together we can end extreme poverty and hunger" and the aim is to raise awareness among everyone about the situation and improve the lives of the poorest people in the world.
I think that these days the Brownies and Guides do a heck of a lot more than we ever did. We used to gain our badges and go on Guide camps, which were fantastic. To have a successful camp you had to have a midnight feast, which consisted of you getting together with other guides in one tent, which was rather cramped. Each person had to being a long something to eat or drink, so you would end up with allsorts of food, from crisps, biscuits to apples and fizzy pop. One thing was certain it would be a blast. The aim was not to alert the leaders you were having a party and when done we all had to get back to our tents without being detected. To us it was a big game. The leaders of course knew exactly what we were doing, but they were young guiders once and did exactly the same thing, so would always turn a blind eye. Ohhh those were the days. Cooking over a camp fire, digging a hole in the ground for the toilet and being up to our knees in mud. The thought of it being World Thinking Day, made me think about my time in the Brownies and Guides. I even remember who the leaders where. In the Brownies, it was Mrs Wilkinson and Mrs Barton. I still keep in touch with Mrs Barton'd daughter. In the Guides it was Mrs Culley. Would I like to go back to those times, ummmm sometimes I think I would, because it was a fun time, but I do not miss my school days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails